[CentOS] RHEL 8 speculation ???

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Feb 25 08:54:27 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 12:20:22AM -0800, Alice Wonder wrote:

> boost in 7 is now too old for some things, in addition to gcc. There are
> solutions in 7 to those issues but it's starting to feel like 6 felt
> shortly before 7 came out, so I wonder if it is getting near to time.
>
> I'm working on a major project bitcoin related and it would be
> frustrating to deploy a bunch of CentOS 7 virtual machines only to have
> 8 come out fairly soon afterwards.

Take a look at

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/d35cef040ea408360c44950a23d813ed.png

Given that, don't count on a release real soon.  Furthermore, a RHEL
release normally has a public beta period of at least 6 months or so.
So, even if a public RHEL 8 beta would be released now (which is
very unlikelely), CentOS 8 would not become available in 2017.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Office: +31 20 6938364