[CentOS] Installing support for Chinese text in Centos 7

agents at meddatainc.com
Sun Feb 26 01:42:43 UTC 2017

I have just done a minimal installation of Centos7 followed by X Windows and the Mate desktop on a workstation. Although the default language is English, I would like to be able to write Chinese text in various applications.

I seem to remember this was very easy to do in Centos 6 and Gnome: possibly only requiring only a simple 'yum groupinstall "Chinese Support"' after which I could use iBus to switch between languages. This does not seem to work in Centos 7.

Suggestions? Thank you.