[CentOS] kernel update/reboot best practice question

Mon Feb 27 16:21:48 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Quite some time ago I have noticed that kernel updated quite often "come
in pairs". That is, if there was no kernel update for quite some time,
and, say, today kernel update for some system level (say, CentOS 6) was
released, then it is quite likely that there will be yet one more kernel
update for the same system level 3-5 days later. As if the kernel is first
patched quick and dirty, then more careful and comprehensive work is done.
Not that I would disagree with this practice, to the contrary, from some
prospective it makes a lot of sense to me.

I wonder what best practices everybody follows: do you tolerate two
reboots separated by few days, or you wait till final kernel update comes,
and reboot only once then?

Thanks a lot for your insights!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev