[CentOS] Spotty internet connection

Fri Feb 3 12:38:58 UTC 2017
Styma, Robert (Nokia - US) <robert.styma at nokia.com>

> How do you IT guys diagnose the problem with a spotty internet connection?

> Just spent an hour on the phone with TWC/Spectrum. Of course they don't see
> anything wrong with their service.

> They send me to speedtest.net. The first attempt, the page didn't fully
> load, the second attempt, the page didn't load at all, the third attempt, it
> loaded.

> On a 20/2MB line I get 24.83/2.47MB. The speed is better than what I'm
> paying for but its spotty.

> Lately I have been getting slow  and partial page loads, server not found,
> server timed out, etc.. Get knocked off ssh when accessing my home server
> from work, etc. Its not the work connection because I don't have problems
> accessing other sites, just here at home and my home server.

> Is there any kind of utility to check for failing hardware?

> TIA
Another thing to check is the wiring to the house.  If this is a cable company, it is likely that the cable to the cable modem splits off to the TV(s).  Make sure there are not any unterminated co-ax cable which used to go to a TV.  Make sure the cable outside the house is not damaged.  The cable company can test for bad cable at your location.  They may charge for this.  You could get a length of co-ax and swap it in in various places to see if the problems go away.