[CentOS] GCC 4.9 in CentOS 7 ??

Thu Feb 9 02:05:13 UTC 2017
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Tuesday, February 07, 2017 2:33 PM -0800 Alice Wonder
<alice at domblogger.net> wrote:

> What I mean is this - my LibreSSL package installs in /usr and not in
> /opt and that is intentional, so that it is not possible to have both
> opennsl-devel and libressl-devel installed at the same time, since they
> both are the same API.

That's the very problem that Software Collections endeavors to solve. If
you install a non-standard package that conflicts with OS defaults, install
it as a collection so that end users can choose whether to use the
enhancement or the default, on a per-session basis.

> But if LibreSSL was in /opt then RPM would have no problem having both
> libressl-devel and openssl-devel installed at the same time, and the
> build of PHP could potentially result in mixed implementation of the
> OpenSSL API - e.g. PHP is linked against LibreSSL but also is linked
> against Net-SNMP which is linked against OpenSSL - so that the dynamic
> loader then loads two shared libraries that provide the same API.

Does Net-SNMP expose the libraries and API it depend on? Does the loader
only link on API signature or does it also look at the library name? Does
Net-SNMP fail if it was built against OpenSSL but is loaded with LibreSSL?

---