[CentOS] Wich web browser on CentOS6 ?

Sat Feb 11 15:42:12 UTC 2017
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 11:37:09AM +0100, Patrick Bégou wrote
> Yes David, I'm using a release 32 of Firefox to reach my olds C6100
> IDRAC7 interface.
> The problem is for latest Firefox versions as they require libgtk-3 not
> available in Centos6/RHEL6 distribution.
>
> Today I use a very very bad solution to reach my switch with latest
> firmware version from the latest Firefox available in CentOS: I disable
> https and use http....
> Even if it is on a private network, in a dedicated vlan behind a
> firewall... I don't like this.

Hello;

  Disclosure: I'm the person who does the Pale Moon (Firefox fork) SSE
contributed build for linux.  Note: this build is 32-bit only.  See
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530&start=20#p105849
I subscribe to this list because I use a CentOS 6.5 chroot to do the
builds, and I have occasional questions.  SSE-only machines (i.e. no
SSE2 instructions) are old Pentium 3 and similar.  The SSE build will
work on newer machines, but may be a bit slower than the standard build,
because it does not use the SSE2 instruction set.

  Older machines often run distros like Puppy linux which use older
glibc, gtk2, etc.  Puppy linux does have security fixes backported.
Because Pale Moon SSE version is built in CentOS 6.5, it should work
in 32-bit CentOS.

  You can also try the mainline version of Pale Moon if you want 64-bit.
http://linux.palemoon.org/  It uses gtk2, but I don't know if it's
compatible with other old libraries that CentOS 6 uses.  My build goes
out of its way to be compatible with older libraries.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>