[CentOS] A question on networking (CentOS 6)

Mon Feb 13 17:49:17 UTC 2017
KM <info4km at yahoo.com>

I will get back to the mailing list.   But to answer your questions, yes the IP addresses and interface names are as expected (as before) with the new MAC/HW addresses.  I have someone else looking into it because when we plugged in the cable the light on the card did not light up.   when we connect the pair server to another separate server it did.  Once the server is back up I will try these things that you suggest, and compare them to the pair server we are trying to connect to.  We are hoping that reseating the card will work.  Probably wishful thinking.
Thx.KM

      From: Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 12:08 PM
 Subject: Re: [CentOS] A question on networking (CentOS 6)

On 02/13/2017 06:55 AM, KM wrote:
> The NIC went bad and it has been replaced.  I knew enough to update the HW address in the ifcfg-* files.  The network service restarts successfully without errors.  However I cannot connect via ping or ssh with the pt2pt network setup on 192.168.x.*.  When I use our internal network ip addresses it is fine.

That's not much to go on.  The output of "ip addr show" and "ip route
show" might help you figure out what's going on.  Do your interfaces
have the expected names?  Do they have the expected IP addresses?

One thing that might be problematic is that there are multiple systems
that attempt to maintain consistent interface names.  If your interface
names are not what you expect, you might need to look at
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules where there may be additional
rules mapping specific MAC addresses to an interface name.