[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

Mon Feb 13 18:31:33 UTC 2017

peter.winterflood wrote:
> On 13/02/17 15:35, m.roth wrote:
>> My manager tells me a system in the datacenter is down. I go down there,
>> and plug in a monitor-on-a-stick and keyboard. It's up, but no network.
>> I try systemctl restart NetworkManager several times, and ip a shows *no*
>> change.
>>
>> Finally, I do an ifdown, followed by an ifup, and everything's
>> wonderful.
>>
>> My manager thinks that the NM daemon thinks everything's fine, and
>> there've been no changes, so it does nothing. He suggests that it might
>> have to be stopped, then started, rather than restarted.
>>
>> This is completely unacceptable behavior, since it leave the system with
>> no network connection. Pre-systemd, as we all know, restart *RESTARTED*
>> the damn thing.
>>
>> Is there some Magic (#insert "pixie-dust-sparkles") incantation, either
>> restarting NetworkManager, or using nm-cli, to force it to perform the
>> expected actions?
>>
>> Btw, if this is supposed to be part of the "hide stuff, desktop Linux
>> users don't need to know this stuff", this is a *much* worse result.
>>
>>      mark (and yes, my manager's truly aggravated about this, also)
>
> there's a really good solution to this.
>
> yum remove NetworkManager*
>
> chkconfig network on
>
> service network start
>
> and yes thats all under fedora 25, and centos 7.
>
> works like a charm.
>
> sometimes removing NM leaves resolv.conf pointing to the networkmanager
> directory, and its best to check this, and replace your resolv.conf link
> with a file with the correct settings.
>
> sorry if this upsets the people who maintain network mangler, but its
> inappropriate on a server.

That't'd be a 100% agreement, good buddy.... We may have done it on some
systems, but in general, we appear to be stuck with the damn thing.

And why the *hell* would a server want wifi enabled, or avahi-daemon
running by default?

        mark