[CentOS] RAID questions

Wed Feb 15 01:08:57 UTC 2017
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 14/02/17 07:58 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/14/2017 4:48 PM, tdukes at palmettoshopper.com wrote:
>> 1- Better to go with a hardware RAID (mainboardsupported) or software?
>
> I would only use hardware raid if its a card with battery (or
> supercap+flash) backed writeback cache, such as a megaraid, areca, etc.
> otherwise I would use mdraid mirroring.
>

>> 2 - Can an existing drive with data on it be used as aRAID drive without
>> losing current data?
>
> software mdraid will let you add a mirror to an existing disk.    or if
> its using LVM, you can mirror in LVM now.

Note; If you're mirroring /boot, you may need to run grub install on
both disks to ensure they're both actually bootable (or else you might
find yourself doing an emergency boot off the CentOS ISO and installing
grub later).

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of