[CentOS] IPv6 broken on Linode

Thu Feb 16 10:32:52 UTC 2017
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 16 February 2017 at 10:17, Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net> wrote:
> On 02/16/2017 02:03 AM, James Hogarth wrote:

>>> Not really - I tried
>>>
>>> net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 0
>>>
>>> and it still fails to grab the proper IPv6
>>>
>>> -=-
>>>
>>> Just in case, I did ask Linode support to verify that my hardware address
>>> is
>>> what it is suppose to be. Still waiting to hear on that.

>> it still is key=value  ... it uses the ifcfg- files (via the rh
>> plugin) and they are all key=value
>>
>> It would be helpful if you could paste the journal output (journalctl
>> -u NetworkManager) from the time period of attempting to get an
>> address ...
>>
>> also the nmcli conn sh <connection_name> information for the interface
>> along with your ifcfg- files
>

> ifcfg-lo is the only one that exists on any of the servers - including the
> VMs that grab the correct IPv6 address.
>
> from /sbin/ifconfig -a :

For a start stop using ifconfig ... it's broken at this point on
linux, especially on multi ip and ipv6 scenarios

Use `ip -6 addr sh` for ipv6 specfic stuff, or just ip addr sh to see
all IP address stuff regardless of family

> eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
>         inet 178.79.185.217  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 178.79.185.255
>         inet6 fe80::a8ad:d312:4ef4:7272  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
>         inet6 2a01:7e00::825f:e564:ad53:72fc  prefixlen 64  scopeid
> 0x0<global>
>         ether f2:3c:91:18:8a:7e  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
>         RX packets 9903  bytes 1088621 (1.0 MiB)
>         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
>         TX packets 7786  bytes 1087223 (1.0 MiB)
>         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
>
> That hardware address - the 18:8a:7e corresponds with what the IPv6 address
> is suppose to be. But that's not the address it is grabbing, despite the
> fact that net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 0 is set.
>
> I'm seriously wondering if the real issue is a mis-configured dhcp server in
> their London facility because nothing makes sense.
>
> journalctl -u NetworkManager
>
> reports no journal entries found.

So are you not using NetworkManager then? there should be some logs ...

> I think the problem must be on their end.
>
> It all was working fine until they migrated the VM because of a hardware
> issue, and I suspect now all the hardware address privacy stuff being the
> issue is barking up the wrong tree because all the reading I have done seems
> to indicate that with
>
> net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 0
>
> that a fake temporary hardware address would not be sent to their dhcp
> server when obtaining the address, but the real one, that should be fetching
> my assigned address.

Only if the kernel is doing SLAAC ... if other things (eg NM) are
handling it directly they may act differently ... but then from the
lack of logs is NM actually handling this?

Does systemctl status NetworkManager show it running and does nmcli
show anything?

> It's all very frustrating but I suspect now the problem isn't the CentOS
> network configuration.

Sounds likely ... depending on what there RA's say and how dhcpv6 is
being handled there (if at all) it could drastically affect things -
particularly if MAC changed on migration.