[CentOS] IPv6 broken on Linode

Fri Feb 17 14:07:07 UTC 2017
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:12 AM +0000 Pete Biggs
<pete at biggs.org.uk> wrote:

> As I said, you need to look at dhclient configuration and command line
> options.  If you have NetworkManager running then it will be
> controlling what dhclient does so manual editing the files will not
> work. Use nmcli to see what's happening and modify the configuration.

It's not so much that editing files won't work, but that in many cases
editing the files you're used to won't work. They're now generated from new
flat files, and you have to dig around to figure out where the new
configuration is hidden. It's a learning curve we all hate to climb, of
course. Fortunately we have the source code for when the documentation is
inadequate!

We see the same thing with the new firewalld. iptables didn't go away. It's
just hidden behind firewalld configuration, which automatically writes
iptables rules. I liken it to going from assembly language to a higher
level language to describe my programming problems. And the new systems
usually provide back doors that let you drop down to the more detailed
implementation layer if absolutely needed.

---