[CentOS] OT: hardware, IBM 3650 M2 won't power on

Wed Feb 22 21:51:05 UTC 2017

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/22/2017 1:32 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> 1. the server was working fine before we moved it out of the datacenter
>>           yesterday afternoon.
>
> old hardware often doesn't survive moves, or even power/thermal cycles
> (powering off long enough to get cold, then back on).

I know, and I'm afraid of that. Still, the googling I did seems to suggest
that there are issues with the idiot diagnostic panel that pulls out - the
power button's on it, but pulled out, shows diagnostics. I've tried
pushing the "remind" button, that tells it "yeah, I know there's an error,
boot anyway", and I've tried pushing the tiny, tiny thing that I think
sends the system an NMI. No joy.

> does that server have an IPMI/BMC or some other sort of lights off
> management?   can you raise that, or was it never configured ?

That's what I was saying - I tried connecting to it from another server in
the rack, and it's supposed to show a web page, but I can't ping it, and
firefox times out trying to connect to the default IP of 192.168.70.125.

    mark