[CentOS] Would this be considered a packaging bug?

Sat Feb 25 15:27:10 UTC 2017
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 02/25/2017 06:33 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> On 02/25/2017 06:12 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 02/25/2017 06:52 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
>>> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=861692
>>>
>>> The source RPM there uses
>>>
>>> %if 0%{?rhel}
>>> # not upstreamed
>>> Patch500: 0001-disable-libe-book-support.patch
>>> Patch501: 0001-fix-build-of-bundled-libzmf-with-boost-1.56.patch
>>> Patch502: 0001-allow-to-build-bundled-libzmf-on-aarch64.patch
>>> Patch503: 0001-impl.-missing-function.patch
>>> %endif
>>>
>>> (and more than just those) resulting in those patches not being included
>>> in the src.rpm because the rpm was not built on rhel/centos.
>>>
>>> My understanding was that platform specific patches were suppose to have
>>> the %if macro where the patch is applied, but should not be where the
>>> source for the patch is defined.
>>>
>>> Been a long time since I was a fedora packager so I don't know what
>>> current packaging guidelines are, but that just seems wrong.
>>>
>>> Is it wrong?
>>
>> It depends .. in the Red Hat world, this is used so that patches are
>> applied on RHEL but not on Fedora.  That is the purpose of that patch.
>> The RHEL team added something to that patch for RHEL that is different
>> than Fedora.
>>
>> So, if built on Fedora, those patches are not installed.  Why would that
>> be a problem?
>>

> Ouch, looking through the spec file it appears that it doesn't use the
> normal %patch mechanism to apply patches. Looks like a change in RPM
> itself that I am not very fond of.
>
> It appears to use a git command to apply patches from some kind of a
> patch macro, and apparently with sources too.
>
> It's just my opinion but I am becoming less and less fond of RPM - just
> like I became less and less fond of GNOME which I use to really love.
>
> Guess I now know how dad felt when all the AIX servers he managed
> started switching to that new-fangled Linux operating system...

Applying: installation fix
Applying: never run autogen.sh
error: patch failed: Makefile.in:14
error: Makefile.in: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0002 never run autogen.sh
The copy of the patch that failed is found in:
    /builddir/build/BUILD/libreoffice-5.3.1.1/.git/rebase-apply/patch
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --resolved".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.c4c5hh (%prep)

-=-=-
That's progress, eh? ;)

git is a source management tool. It's not a build tool. Ah well.