[CentOS] Systemd debug logging turned on in CentOS 7

Tue Feb 28 19:21:31 UTC 2017
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com>

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Thomas Eriksson <
thomas.eriksson at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On 02/28/2017 08:55 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> >
> > Main issue I've seen is that logs grow by an order of magnitude larger
> than
> > when it's off, due to systemd being systemd and now running in debug
> mode.
> > Other than disk space, it would affect any central logging system you
> have
> > with lots of unnecessary traffic, and would also add a lot of IO,
> amplified
> > if you have many machines running on a VM host.
> >
> > ~ Brian Mathis
> > @orev
>

> Just to put the record straight; it's not related to kernel debugging
> being enabled or not. It's systemd debugging that is being turned on
> for all menu entries, kernel debug or not.
>
> Anyway, I think I have found a pattern. Only those machines that were
> updated from 7.2 to 7.3 using the CR repo are showing this behaviour.
> New 7.3 installs are fine. I'll just clean up the machines affected
> and move on. There must have been some debug config left in an
> installation script in one of the CR rpms.
>
> thanks to everyone responding,

        Thomas

Yes, true, this isn't technically the "kernel" debug mode, but systemd
debugging is also enabled for the debug boot options, which seems to get
carried into a non-debug boot entry somehow.

I have seen this issue on a few machines, and I don't use the CR repos.
The ones I saw were during upgrades from 7.2 systems with all updates,
which were then upgraded to 7.3 with all updates as of 2 weeks ago.

~ Brian Mathis
@orev