[CentOS] cron job failures with a perl script containing Astro::Time

Gregory P. Ennis

PoMec at PoMec.Net
Mon Jan 2 21:25:22 UTC 2017

Everyone,

I am building a gateway server with a new : CentOS Linux release
7.3.1611 (Core)  with 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64 kernel.

Everything was going find, but I was not able to get a particular
cronjob to function properly that contained a perl script with
Astro::Time as an include file.  Astro::Time was installed with the use
of the cpan module downloaded from the Centos repositories.

The error message I get in the logs is :

Can't locate Astro/Time.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/local/bin/s.bkup.degw3.prl
line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/s.bkup.degw3.prl
line 12.

Line 12 is the line in the perl scrip that contains :

use Astro::Time;

The script works find from the command line, but will not work at all
in a cron job.

After I reviewed the previous posts on this mail list about Centos 7
cron job problems I was motivated to change the PATH statements in the
/etc/crontab file to include all of the PATH's in my root environment
while using a terminal interface.

/etc/crontab file :
SHELL=/bin/bash
#PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
PATH=/usr/lib64/qt-
.3/bin:/root/perl5/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bi
n:/root/bin
QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins:/usr/lib/kde4/plugin
MAILTO=root

The original /etc/crontab file was :
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root

Unfortuantely I am still not able to get this script to work.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Greg Ennis