[CentOS] microcode_ctl-2.1-16 hard crash on Intel E5 2667 v4 CPUs

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jan 4 19:06:57 UTC 2017

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017, Locane wrote:

> Still though - someone manages the default repositories - so my
> question is, who decides when a package gets an update from whatever
> CentOS ships with default to a newer version?  How does that process
> take place, and, can I affect it by adding microcode_ctl-2.1-18 ?

For the vast majority of CentOS packages, that decision is made by Red
Hat, whose Enterprise Linux product is rebuilt pretty much as-is and
released as CentOS. As goes RHEL, so goes CentOS.

That's considered a feature by CentOS users, not a bug.

So when Red Hat releases a new microcode_ctl package, a CentOS update
will follow quickly.

The obverse is true too: without a RHEL release, a CentOS update will
not follow.

You can manually download and install Petr Oros' test package, and you
can badger Red Hat, but those are your only realistic options.