[CentOS] Firefox Issue

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Thu Jan 12 03:33:40 UTC 2017

On 01/09/2017 01:51 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Always Learning wrote:
>>> Yes, but... attacks on the friggin' IoT could result in lots of blood.
> Or, less so, what do you mean all the rail lines have been knocked out
> of commission for a week, and we can't get food to the eastern half of
> the country? Or power?
> <snip>
>> Query: How did the Reds get into the Democrats computer systems ? Hope
> it wasn't a Redhat/Centos system but an 'open Windoze' set-up.
>
> In at least one of the several, it was a phishing attack. ....

Though not being a professional cyber spy, still I don't see how it's
possible at all to determine the source of the hack.  Once someone's
machine succumbs to a phish, the attacker could install something like
tor which would conceal all hacker traffic with the hacked machine.
Indeed, a professional could, further, set up a chain or web of such
compromised machines, each connected to the other via tor to further
hide the hacker's home... if that would even be necessary (?).

Moreover, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2jD4SF9gFE and others also
provide enlightening expert details about the software allegedly used in
the hack, maintaining it was a couple years old, not even the latest
versions available "off the shelf" on the dark web, hardly software
which would be used by a state agent.