[CentOS] how to troubleshoot GUI issue?

Kay Schenk kay.schenk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 17:36:38 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:23 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Dave Burns wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm using a recent install of centos 7, no GUI customizations that I
> > recall. When I log in using the GUI it accepts my password and the mouse
> > appears on a black screen, like it is preparing the desktop, but the
> > desktop never appears. If I hit control-alt-f4 and log in using the
> > command
> > line, and then execute startx, Everything seems to work perfectly.
> >
> > What sort of troubleshooting should I do to figure out what is stalling?
> > I'm not at all familiar with this aspect of things.
> >
> grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> view ~/.xsession-errors.
>
> Is where I'd start.
>
>        mark

​Definitely! I've also generated a skeleton xorg.conf manually for testing
at init level 3 using the following instructions (log in as root):

​
 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf

​This should detect the "basics" for you. ​

MzK

"During times of Universal Deceit, telling
 the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
                        -- George Orwell