[CentOS] CentOS 7 and Areca ARC-1883I SAS controller: JBOD or not to JBOD?

Peter Peltonen

peter.peltonen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:31:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

Does anyone have experiences about ARC-1883I SAS controller with CentOS7?

I am planning to have RAID1 setup and I am wondering if I should use
the controller's RAID functionality which has 2GB cache or should I go
with JBOD + Linux software RAID?

The disks I am going to use are 6TB Seagate Enterprise ST6000NM0034
7200rpm SAS/12Gbit 128 MB

If hardware RAID is preferred, the controller's cache could be updated
to 4GB and I wonder how much performance gain this would give me?

Thanks!
Peter