[CentOS] CentOS 7 and Areca ARC-1883I SAS controller: JBOD or not to JBOD?

Cameron Smith cameron at networkredux.com
Sat Jan 21 01:00:04 UTC 2017

Hi Valeri,

Before you pull a drive you should check to make sure that doing so
won't kill the whole array.

MegaCli can help you prevent a storage disaster and can let you have more
insight into your RAID and the status of the virtual disks and the disks
than make up each array.

MegaCli will let you see the health and status of each drive. Does it have
media errors, is it in predictive failure mode, what firmware version does
it have etc. MegaCli will also let you see the status of the enclosure, the
adapter and the virtual disks (logical disks).

Before you pull a drive it's a good idea to properly prepare it for removal
after confirming that it's OK to remove it.

Here are a few commands:

OFFLINE A DISK
MegaCli -PDOffline -PhysDrv[32:0] -a0

MARK A DISK AS MISSING
MegaCli -pdmarkmissing -physdrv[32:0] -a0

MARK A DISK AS PREPARED FOR REMOVAL
MegaCli -pdprprmv -physdrv[32:0] -a0

Here are some easy overview commands that I run when first looking at the
storage on a system:
MegaCli -AdpAllInfo -aAll |grep -A 8 "Device Present";
MegaCli -PDList -aALL |grep "Firmware state";
MegaCli -PDList -aALL |grep "Media Error Count";
MegaCli -PDList -aALL |grep "Predictive Failure Count";
MegaCli -PDList -aALL |grep "Inquiry Data";
MegaCli -PDList -aALL |grep "Device Firmware Level";
MegaCli -PDList -aALL |grep "Drive has flagged";
MegaCli -PDList -aALL |grep Temperature;

I also leverage MegaCli from bash scripts on my older Dell 11Gen that I run
in cron.hourly that check the health status of my arrays and email me if
there is an issue.

Cameron Smith
Technical Operations Manager
Network Redux, LLC