[CentOS] samba rpm deps - with yum downgrade = kind of a mayhem

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 17:12:08 UTC 2017

On 26/01/17 14:44, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:44:06AM +0000, lejeczek wrote:
>> but Centos should, right?
>> Being able to downgrade can save you a day or a few. I know, for it did save
>> mine several times, eg. buggy samba new update and downgrade fixed it, etc.
>> We absolutely should be able to downgrade every rpm, if this is just a
>> matter of an opinion(I'd fail to see any other reasons to not do it) then my
>> vote goes obviously to - Centos/repos maintainers please make sure "yum
>> downgrade" will always work.
> If you maintain your own private yum repositories, you can certainly
> downgrade to versions you provide yourself.  But being able to
> downgrade to any arbitrary package using the CentOS repos would use up
> considerable storage resources. The repo maintainers aren't psychic,
> so they'd have to keep EVERY SINGLE RPM. Every mirror would have to
> keep every RPM too.

no no, not every single rpm! Only one prior, one from which
you are upgrading, would suffice.
Don't make it bigger than it actually is please.
Other repos don't have problem with it. AFAIR Scientific
Linux had no problem with this, at least that was the case
not that long ago, chances are they still to it.