[CentOS] yum adding 7.3 packages to 7.2 system

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Jan 27 13:02:56 UTC 2017

Hello Jon,

On Thu, 2017-01-26 at 23:35 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> And here I thought I had asked to upgrade to 7.2 a year ago.

Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but to elaborate on what the
others said, only the latest point release is a supported release. This
was 7.2.1511 (year 15, month 11) last year and it is 7.3.1612 now.

> A 900 package update is a concern for a computer our home relies
> upon to be there daily.  Thus my caution.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say millions of people use this
release (and its upstream daddy) and do point upgrades without a hitch.

If your relatives are in the habit of pulling power then it might be
cautious to perform an fsck before starting the update. You might want
to check if you have enough disk space available before proceeding,
although if you don't the update will just abort without any
consequences (other than perhaps filling up your yum cache if you keep
packages, i.e. if keepcache=1 in yum.conf). Other than that you
shouldn't expect any issues. Just run that update and feel your
confidence grow ;-) .

Regards,
Leonard.