[CentOS] large update - best practice

Jon LaBadie

jcu at labadie.us
Fri Jan 27 15:19:10 UTC 2017

With a large update to be made, eg. the 900 package
one I questioned yesterday, are there any suggestions
to avoid possible complications?

Two examples, I'd like to know of others too:

I'm not running the most recently installed kernel,
I assume I should reboot to that.

I normally have a graphical environment running.
Would it be better to: a) shutdown X and update
from a straight CLI environment b) logout from
the GUI and update from a vt CLI c) update from
a GUI login as root or d) doesn't matter, do as
normal -- from an ssh login, "sudo yum update"?

Thanks, Jon
Jon H. LaBadie                 jon at jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)
 Reston, VA  20190              (703) 935-6720 (C)