[CentOS] large update - best practice

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jan 27 16:02:16 UTC 2017

On 01/27/2017 09:19 AM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> With a large update to be made, eg. the 900 package
> one I questioned yesterday, are there any suggestions
> to avoid possible complications?
>
> Two examples, I'd like to know of others too:
>
> I'm not running the most recently installed kernel,
> I assume I should reboot to that.
>
> I normally have a graphical environment running.
> Would it be better to: a) shutdown X and update
> from a straight CLI environment b) logout from
> the GUI and update from a vt CLI c) update from
> a GUI login as root or d) doesn't matter, do as
> normal -- from an ssh login, "sudo yum update"?
>
> Thanks, Jon

It is certainly better to upgrade with less things running as a general
practice.

One should never update from a Remote X type connection via VNC or NX, etc.

The absolute safest way to upgrade would be to do so via the console and
a keyboard on the actual machine if there is some issue with sshd, etc.

But generally, this upgrade should be OK via ssh, etc.