[CentOS] [OT] Network Attached Storage

Tue Jan 3 16:40:19 UTC 2017

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> said:
>> The FreeNAS Mini from iX Systems is a good deal more expensive, but
>> the ones I've worked with have been reliable and well suited to
>> running ZFS with good performance.
>
> I just retired a TrueNAS (the iX Systems "enterprise" version of
> FreeNAS, on hardware they sold pre-configured), and I don't have a lot
> of nice things to say about it.  The hardware they sold was just
> SuperMicro, so nothing special (and with the standard SuperMicro
> problems).
>
> There are some good people at iX, but I wish I hadn't had to deal with
> them so much.

Apologies for coming in late on this, but I wasn't reading the list over
the holiday weekend....

Is this just for a home system, or for an organization? And how much
storage do you need? Where I work, we really like hardware from AC&NC. We
have a good number of the JetStors (DAS or fibre). The hardware is *very*
reliable - we're looking, in the next month or so, at decommissioning one
that actually SCSI, and has been in production for a *long* time.... On
top of which, both their pricing is very good, and their service is good,
including response time.

    mark