[CentOS] [OT] Network Attached Storage

Tue Jan 3 18:42:19 UTC 2017
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

I suggest going with what you are, or or willing to become, most
familiar with. The simpler the better. And expect it will break,
therefore build a contingency for that breakage.

In my case, I'm using an Intel NUC with a Pentium N3700, a dyconn USB
3.0 hub, and a bunch of laptop drives in enclosures connected to that
hub. Fedora 25 Server is the OS, Btrfs is the file system. The primary
volume is just a single disk volume, using samba to share with
Mac/Windows/Linux; and periodically the shared subvolume gets
snapshot, and use btrfs send/receive to replicate the incremental
changes to additional independent volumes (the USB 3.0 drive). There's
5 copies of the data locally; three of which are independent copies.
An additional independent subset of that data is "in the cloud" so
that it's off site. It's a very basic setup but it's also been stable.
But I'm also really prepared to lose any of the copies at any time.
Even if I were using XFS on LVM, I'd still keep this many copies.

Chris Murphy