[CentOS] How to downgrade gtk2 libs in CentOS 6.8?

Mon Jan 9 15:39:08 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/09/2017 07:54 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2017, at 4:08 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org> wrote:
>>  Hi all.  I'm using a CentOS 6.8 VM to do volunteer builds for an open
>> source project.  I want to build Pale Moon with a gtk2 library older
>> than 2.24, to allow people with older linuxes to run it.  Short summary,
>> if built against version gtk2-2.24 and/or higher, the binary will use a
>> function that does not exist in gtk2-2.23 and lower.  Net result is that
>> the program dies with an "undefined symbol:" error for people with
>> machines lower than gtk2-2.24.  Yes, before you ask, they do get
>> security fixes backported.
>>
>>  The hits from my Google search suggested...
>>
>> yum downgrade gtk2
>>
>>  The response from yum was...
>>
>> Only Upgrade available on package: gtk-2.24.23-8.e16.i686
>> Nothing to do
>>
>>  Are there ways around this?
>

> I suggest building the software using mock chroots, built against older versions of CentOS.  You can set up custom chroots in /etc/mock/.
>
> For example, I have staged versions of CentOS7 (with staged yum repos) that I use to build kernel modules, so I can build the latest version of OpenAFS against kernels other than the latest, since our environment’s kernels don’t get updated immediately but I will still need to have OpenAFS kmods.  You could do something similar, only pointing the yum repos at vault.centos.org <http://vault.centos.org/> repos.

This ^^ (use mock).

You can use mock chroots in sandbox mode to manually get whatever
install you want, or if all the things you want are in (for example)
CentOS 6.5, you can point your config files for mock to use 6.5 repo
from http://vault.centos.org/ and build against that.