[CentOS] CentOS 7 and Areca ARC-1883I SAS controller: JBOD or not to JBOD?

Fri Jan 20 23:16:16 UTC 2017
Joseph L. Casale <jcasale at activenetwerx.com>

> This is why before configuring and installing everything you may want to
> attach drives one at a time, and upon boot take a note which physical
> drive number the controller has for that drive, and definitely label it so
> y9ou will know which drive to pull when drive failure is reported.

Sorry Valeri, that only works if you're the only guy in the org.

In reality, you cannot and should not rely on this given how easily it can
change and more than likely someone won't update it.

Would you walk up to a production unit in a degraded state and simply pull
out a drive and risk a production issue? I wouldn't...

You need to assert the position of the drive and prepare it in the array
controller for removal, then swap, scan, add to virtual disk then initiate
rebuild.

Not to mention if it's a busy system, confirm that the IO load from the
rebuild is not having an impact on the application. You may need to lower
the rate.