[CentOS] Physically moving a mail server vs. cached DNS

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Sat Jul 1 07:26:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

I just moved my main mail account and web content from a low-cost
(low-quality) provider to my own root server running CentOS 7. I
transferred the domain name from DNS management to my registrar,
configured BIND, Apache, Postfix, Dovecot, NTP, SELinux, etc. Now things
are running rather nicely. One thing is puzzling me though.

The updated mail server DNS seems to have spread around so far.

$ host -t mx microlinux.fr
microlinux.fr mail is handled by 10 mail.microlinux.fr.

Unfortunately, some hosts seem to still keep the old DNS information,
which was:

$ host -t mx microlinux.fr
microlinux.fr mail is handled by 10 mx1.nfrance.com.

In your experience, what's the "longest" a DNS cache is configured to
keep outdated information? A day? A week? A month? Longer?

Cheers,

Niki