[CentOS] rsync and cause/source of an empty file

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 16:56:10 UTC 2017

On 06/30/2017 01:42 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> The setup is somewhat complicated in that the VAN
> will not permit direct rsync access and so we establish the link via
> sshfs and then mount remote location as local.

sshfs doesn't seem to preserve/transmit ctime, so rsync won't be able to
reliably determine whether a file has changed based on times.  There's a
small chance that you'll miss updates in this configuration.  That's
probably not related to your problem, just a note on that setup.

Regarding the empty file, perhaps the source had the file locked for
reading.  Do you know what type of system is providing the data?