[CentOS] System Start-Up Issue

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jul 3 12:52:41 UTC 2017

Chris Olson wrote:
<snip>
> I went on vacation right after an update to one of our virtual CentOS 6.9
> systems so it was not restarted for a period of time.  Now it will not
> complete boot-up with the gnome display never fully launched.  A progress
> bar at the bottom of the start-up screen never reaches completion. We have
> not been able to detect a running system on the network.
>
> Two options for stopping the CentOS 6.9 virtual machine have been tried.
> One is to "power off" and the other is to "send the shutdown message".
> Both of these options appear to work properly.  The shutdown output
<snip>
Suggestion: boot to the previous kernel. If that works, reinstall the
update, then reboot to it.

We had real issues months back, where a yum-cron appeared to half-ignore
the exclude=kernel line in yum.conf, and it would consistently fail to
boot, but once the above was done, reinstalling the latest kernel, *then*
it rebooted with no problem.

     mark