[CentOS] Firefox 52.2.x and javascipt issues

Scott Gennari sgennari at simons-rock.edu
Wed Jul 5 19:51:30 UTC 2017

On 07/05/2017 03:27 PM, Bernard Lheureux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it me or there are a lot of troubles with Firefox ESR 52.2.x and
> javascript ???
> I face a lot of troubles with pages I used before correctly running
> javascript, since the update to firefox-52.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64 on
> my EL7 laptop

Not sure if this is what you are experiencing, this was taken from Java
     https://java.com/en/download/help/firefox_java.xml

/Beginning with Firefox 52 (released March 2017), plug-in support is
limited to Adobe Flash, and drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins
for Java, Silverlight, and other similar NPAPI based plugins.//
<snip>
////

          Firefox 52 ESR 32-bit release

////

Mozilla offers an Extended Support Release (ESR)
<https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/organizations/> version of Firefox
specifically for use by organizations who need extended support for mass
deployments. Only Mozilla Firefox 52 ESR 32-bit release will continue
offering support for the standards-based plugin support technology
required to launch Java Applets. To see if you are using an ESR release,
check the Firefox menu item (Help -> About) and looking for the "ESR"
identifier.

Mozilla maintains Firefox ESR Releases for approximately one year.
Developers and users still relying on the Java plugin technology in the
32-bit Mozilla Firefox web browser should consider migrating to a
different solution. *
*

//

Even with 'ESR', it appears the writing is on the wall for Firefox with
regards to Java.

/

Scott

//