[CentOS] getting rid of hp c3180

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jul 11 23:09:15 UTC 2017

On 7/11/2017 3:58 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> I faced the same issue some years ago, and found a low-priced mono
> laser that lated me quite a few years. no color, but few thing I
> wanted to print actually demanded color.

my last two laser printers have been Brother black&white all-in-ones
("MFC").   *VERY* cheap per page printing costs, even if you use Brother
brand toner cartridges.   They make useful copy machines, they are fast
(22 page per minute, very short first page warmup).  The newer one we
now have does double sided scanning, and double sided printing.   Both
of these are ethernet/network printers.   decent linux support for
printing.   the scanner function can direct email scans in PDF or JPG
format, so there's no need for linux drivers for scanning.

I have a seperate Canon Pro100 large format color photo printer, this is
an ink jet, uses 8 seperate color cartridges.  on glossy photo paper, it
makes photos that look like they came from a pro photo lab with very
good subtle color rendering and wide gamut range.   fairly expensive per
page.       Unclear if there's linux support for these (my color
printing all comes from Windows).