[CentOS] What RH-like on a Dell XPS 15 (9590)?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jul 28 15:26:27 UTC 2017

On 07/28/2017 08:58 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/28/2017 07:51 AM, wwp wrote:
>> Hello Johnny,

>>> hmmm .. the live ISO fails to boot .. there is not squashfs module ..
>>> let me see if I can fix that.
>>
>> Where could I get an ISO (once fixed), I only saw RPMs at the link you
>> pasted? Or do I have to assemble myself in some way?
>>

> Once I get a working ISO that installs, I'll post a link.
>
> You would have to set up the experimental repo in /etc/yum.repos.d/ to
> get kernel updates, and those would be RPM only.
>
> In fact, I have a live ISO now that installs (in KVM) .. but I still
> need to make sure this kernel updates correctly from the experimental
> repo.
>
> The kernel (and linux-firmware) rpms are unsigned, but should upgrade
> from the experimental repo for future upgrades and those are signed.
>
> So, I should have something installable sometime in the next few hours
> that you can try.

OK .. I just pushed this ISO to the master mirror:

CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGnome-1707-exp.iso (sha256sum):
f60d806f513f337acd09c5cf4a2ec3c735ba82519798d07096992916fc4cf271

Once it makes it to the mirrors, it can be downloaded via this link:

https://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGnome-1707-exp.iso

I also tested this on a physical machine (t520 thinkpad) , as well as an
install on a KVM VM, and it installs fine both places.

After install and reboot, add in the experimental.repo file via this
link (bottom of the page):

https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/i386

Run a 'yum upgrade', reboot and you should be set.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes