[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

Mark Haney mark.haney at neonova.net
Mon Jul 31 11:23:55 UTC 2017

On 07/31/2017 07:15 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/30/2017 02:07 PM, Walter H. wrote:

>>> Looking at VMWare Workstation, it does not seem to run on Fedora at all.
>>> It seems to run on :
>>>
>>>       Ubuntu 16.04
>>>       Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1
>>>       CentOS 7.1
>>>       Oracle Linux 7
>>>       openSUSE 13.2
>>>       SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
>>>
>>> So, I'm not sure how it was running on Fedora 25 to get messed up by an
>>> upgrade to Fedora 26.
>>>
>> with Fedora 25 everything worked fine, even the upgrade from VMware Wkst
>> 12.5.6 to 12.5.7 with automatic recompilation of neccessary kernel modules
>> without my intervention ...
>> and the same when a kernel upgrade among other updates occured on Fedora
>> 25, everything worked fine ...
>>
>> but the upgrade from F25 to F26 killed my VMware Workstation :-(
>> even the updates which occured after this upgrade didn't help ...
> Running external things like VMWare Workstation (or other 3rd party
> custom compiled apps) is exactly what enterprise distros like RHEL,
> CentOS, Ubuntu LTS, SUSE SLES are designed for .. running things already
> compiled for a long period of time while providing security updates.
>
> It is not just kernel modules that need to be compiled to run on a give
> linux distribution, but everything that uses any specific shared
> libraries linked against has to be compatible as well as the main shared
> libraries (glibc).

Uh, I run VMWare workstation just fine on my F26 upgraded machine. No,
it didn't work when I upgraded, but it's trivial to fix.

http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1939

This link gets you a running workstation in about 5 minutes.  No, this
wasn't really a Fedora issue, it's a VMWare issue.  You have to
remember, Fedora /is/ bleeding edge packages and sometimes crap breaks.
If you looked on the internet for a fix to this, you didn't look hard
enough, this link is one of the first to pop up.  In fact, anytime a new
kernel is installed, I check this site to see how much of a PITA it'll
be to reboot the kernel and install the modules.

Personally, I would rather deal with these headaches on my Fedora box
than I would on a CentOS box.  Primarily because I like the latest
packages (in some cases I need them) and, I'm not freaked out about
little things like VMWare Workstation needing some massaging to get nice
with the OS.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova