[CentOS] Upstream details at...

Mon Jul 3 17:41:07 UTC 2017

On Mon, July 3, 2017 12:15 pm, Stuart Barkley wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 at 08:00 -0000, centos-announce-request at centos.org
> wrote:
>
>> Upstream details at : https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2017-1609.html
>
> For a while now the "upstream details" pointed to in messages from
> centos-announce have been saying:
>
>     Attention: RHN Hosted will reach the end of its service life on
>     July 31, 2017. Customers will be required to migrate existing
>     systems to Red Hat Subscription Management prior to this date.

This message, as far as I understand, resembles to how RedHat subscribers
(paid clients) manage/update their RedHat systems (the last requires going
trough pilot server for binary packages). CentOS does not use any access
restrictions to CentOS packages and other goodies, so this message does
not apply to CentOS.

On a side note: I was always admiring RedHat: being commercial company,
they live off OpenSource software and always meticulously obey relevant
licenses (GPL license almost for overwhelming part of software). Namely,
they always provide unrestricted access to source packages (as they tweak
original software or settings). CentOS project rebuilds these (changing
branding and artwork), and provides "binary compatible" with RedHat
Enterprise freely available system. Thanks both to RedHat, and to CentOS
teams for the great job you guys are doing!

Valeri