[CentOS] Extreme frustration with GIMP

Fri Jul 7 17:38:17 UTC 2017
Leroy Tennison <leroy at datavoiceint.com>

I saw Fred's later reply and am glad someone knew how to do it.  I feel your pain, the gimp documentation isn't always the best.  If you aren't already aware, when your work is suddenly undone, remember that Ctrl-Z (UnDo) is your friend.  I found that I had to look for gimp tutorials on the web wherever I could and use the one that worked (as you discovered - not all do).  And then there were cases where, like you did, posting on a forum produced far better results than hours of web search.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alice Wonder" <alice at domblogger.net>
To: "centos" <centos at centos.org>
Sent: Friday, July 7, 2017 11:42:01 AM
Subject: [CentOS] Extreme frustration with GIMP

I am not a graphics person. Also can't afford to hire one.

Trying to follow instructions at
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html

I use the "intelligent scissors" just like they say, spend quite a bit
of effort doing so.

Then click the foreground select tool - just like they say - and
suddenly everything I did with the intelligent tool is undone.

WTF?

Does anyone know of an actual GIMP tutorial for removing background that
doesn't cause me to throw a damn brick through my monitor?

Photoshop makes it easy, but clearly GIMP developers have a completely
different philosophy on how a graphics tool should work and I can't
figure out what their philosophy is.