[CentOS] old hardware / minimal netinstall -> CPU fan control

Tue Jul 11 16:11:52 UTC 2017
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:05:55PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I have just installed CentOS 6 i386 onto an old rack server (it's gonna be a
> Bacula storeage server and is a 1U 1/2 depth chassis)
>
> I did a minimum netinstall and so far so good. However, I have one problem.
> The CPU fan is going at full speed constantly. Not a real problem apart from
> (a) it will affect the fan's lifespan and (b) it's noisy.

I used to have a HP 320 generation 2 server that I used as a desktop. it
had a bunch of tiny fans that screamed like a banshee.

it turns out that one of the RPMs they shipped with it (on CD, not actually
installed) contained a driver that toned down the fans to a soft roar.
I'm sorry to say I have no memory of what the driver was.

but if this system is from a vendor that supports Linux, they might have
some suitable driver.

good  luck!

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us