[CentOS] old hardware / minimal netinstall -> CPU fan control

Wed Jul 12 15:13:56 UTC 2017
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Tue, July 11, 2017 14:16, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Fred Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:05:55PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>>> I have just installed CentOS 6 i386 onto an old rack server (it's
>>> gonna be a Bacula storeage server and is a 1U 1/2 depth chassis)
>>>
>>> I did a minimum netinstall and so far so good. However, I have one
>>> problem. The CPU fan is going at full speed constantly. Not a real
>>> problem apart from (a) it will affect the fan's lifespan and
>>> (b) it's noisy.
>>
>> I used to have a HP 320 generation 2 server that I used as a
>> desktop. it had a bunch of tiny fans that screamed like a banshee.
>>
>> it turns out that one of the RPMs they shipped with it (on CD,
>> not actually installed) contained a driver that toned down the
>> fans to a soft roar. I'm sorry to say I have no memory of what
>> the driver was.
>>
>> but if this system is from a vendor that supports Linux, they
>> might have some suitable driver.
>>
> That's in the firmware. You may, or may not, be able to do
> something with ipmitool, but I don't think so. Reboot, and
> look in system setup. It may be under performance settings.

If this is a SuperMicro box then you can contact their support to if
there is a BIOS update that deals with this issue.  After an update to
one our SM rack units its fans sounded like a jet taking off.  This
turned out to be a known problem and the final fix was a BIOS update
from SM.

Canada  L8E 3C3