[CentOS] Cron sending to root after changing MAILTO

Thu Jul 20 02:25:52 UTC 2017
Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>

> Date: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 23:31:10 +0000
> From: Chad Cordero <ccordero at csusb.edu>
>
> It’s being rejected before it even reaches the mailbox, so
> forwarding won’t work.  Crond should really be using the MAILTO
> variable and it’s not.

In my testing, this worked as advertised. Changing the "MAILTO=" in
/etc/crontab from the default "root" to either a local username or a
remote address resulted in the crontab messages being delivered to
the desired mailboxes. I think I'd put a test command into the
crontab and watch the logs to see what might be going on -- including
making certain that the crontab is reloading correctly after changing
the "mailto" value.

Separately, but related, did you run newaliases or postalias after
you added the entry to "root:" in /etc/aliases?