[CentOS] vfstp and renaiming of files with ftp client - CLOSED

Mon Jul 24 12:09:03 UTC 2017
Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>

Am 13.07.17 um 17:59 schrieb Pete Biggs:
>> The permissions for the upload folder are drwx-wx--- and the owner is
>> Bob group is ftpuploadgroup
>>
>> Alice is member of that group, but should only drop files in.
>>
>> The files are ownd by Alice, and I'm bit iritated, taht Bob can rename
>> tham ... as Bob only has read permision (from the group)
> A directory is just a special file which holds information on other
> files (such as names and the inodes those names point to). As such in
> order to rename a file you need write permission to the directory
> special file (i.e. '.') - the ownership and permissions of the file in
> question are not involved in renaming.
>
>> The files in a subfolder have the same permissions and Bob cant change
>> tham...
>>
> Because Bob does not have write permission to the directory.
>
> As someone else said, tell us what your aim is and we can try and tell
> you what file/directory permissions need to be applied. It may be that
> what you are trying to do is not possible within the standard Unix
> permissions, but some filesystems have extended ACLs which could help.
>
> P.
Hi and thanks to all suggestions. We currently go with the "old" way:
the users do the up- and download as told in the last years so we dont
have to change permissions or the server software and next year we may
change the system totally.

This is an upload ftp server for one annual event, so.

Learned some things and thanks again . Götz