[CentOS] where is samba?

Mon Jul 24 14:32:10 UTC 2017
me at tdiehl.org <me at tdiehl.org>

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017, mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com wrote:

> Obnoxius, seems to be the order of the day for companies that started with
> "FOSS" but don't want to comply with the licensing they were once so happy
> about because it gave them a product at a very low cost. now everyone is
> getting greedy. Then again money for nothing is the american dream these
> days. Might be nice to change the wiki rather than frustrate new and old
> users

Obnoxious, is when someone thinks there is a requirement to give away
binary rpms to a non-paying customer!!

Please get your facts straight!!

Having said that, if you do not need Samba AD support there are newer samba
rpms available for FREE with Centos. if you need something newer than
4.2.10 on c-6 or 4.4.4 on c-7 or you need Samba AD support, I would suggest you
download the src tarball from https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.6.6.tar.gz
and build it yourself. It is trivial to build provided you follow the
instructions @ https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source.

https://wiki.samba.org provides a wealth of information for configuring samba 4

In addition, if you have problems the people on the samba mailing
go out of their way to help troubleshoot problems.

HTH,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org