[CentOS] What RH-like on a Dell XPS 15 (9590)?

Thu Jul 27 17:51:07 UTC 2017
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Le 27/07/2017 à 19:25, wwp a écrit :
> I've just got a Dell XPS 15 (9590) at work and need to set up a stable
> GNU/Linux system on it. I thought of CentOS7, but.. obviously its
> kernel can't run on this hardware.
>
> What would you recommend? Waiting for CentOS8 is not an option unless
> it's a question of few weeks. Are there respins of the CentOS7 DVDs w/
> more top-recent kernels? I'm know of Fedora 26 or course, and not
> willing to switch to Ubuntu 16.10 at all.

Usually, I install CentOS 7 with KDE on all desktop computers, mine and
those of my clients. This is my "standard" desktop installation.

https://blog.microlinux.fr/poste-de-travail-centos-7/

On more recent hardware, I usually try to run a kernel from ELRepo,
either kernel-lt or kernel-ml. One the repo is configured:

# yum --enablerepo=elrepo-kernel install kernel-{lt,ml}

I everything else fails (which happened recently on some weird el cheapo
laptop from a friend), I'll install KDE neon, which is a healthy mix of
bleeding edge and stable. This is a "least evil" solution, but it
actually works nicely.

https://blog.microlinux.fr/neon-asus/

Cheers,

Niki