[CentOS] What RH-like on a Dell XPS 15 (9590)?

Thu Jul 27 21:01:41 UTC 2017
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

> Am 27.07.2017 um 22:48 schrieb vychytraly . <vychytraly at gmail.com>:
>
> Maybe CentOS 7.4 would have backported compatibility for your hardware. I
> had similar issues with Intel GPU not being recognized, which was solved by
> "i915 preliminary hw support enabled" method. Try to have a look on that.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.4_Release_Notes/new_features_hardware_enablement.html <https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.4_Release_Notes/new_features_hardware_enablement.html>

Well, the only thing that catches my eye here is the support for newer Intel PCHs.

Skylake (Purley) servers exist, so I would assume that RHEL would need to support these chipsets.

Wireless, GPUs etc - that’s something different.

Of course, there’s always SLES (or SLED, in the OPs case), which has a somewhat more recent kernel, AFAIK - if we’re playing „Anything but Ubuntu“.
;-)

The above beta came out in May. So I’d hazard a guess and say it’ll be late autumn before we see a release and I’d hope for a pre-christmas CentOS 7.4 release….

Rainer