[CentOS] What RH-like on a Dell XPS 15 (9590)?

Fri Jul 28 18:47:14 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 07/28/2017 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
> Hello Johnny,
>

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:33:15 -0500 Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>> I've just succeeded in installing CentOS7 from the DVD! Had no luck
>>> using a Live CD (both dd'ed to a flash drive).
>>>
>>> Hardware support is not complete (or not configured as-is):
>>>  - bluetooth not working
>>>  - HDMI ouput -> nothing
>>>  - dell Fn keys -> no screen light, no wifi toggle
>>>  - no suspend/hibernate
>>>
>>> I will now try to inject more recent kernels (yours *) or extra firmware,
>>> see how I can find better hardware support and configuration. And
>>> compare this to what Fedora 26 provides..
>>>
>>> (*) BTW, I installed your 4.9.39 kernel (did a yum update after
>>> configuring a repo file to get your stuff) and at boot, I immediately
>>> get:
>>> error: $KERNEL_NAME_HERE has invalid signature
>>> error: you need to load the kernel first
>>>

>> There are actually 2 kernels, one on the live DVD I just posted, and one
>> in the experimental repo.
>>
>> Both of those would require NO secure boot turned on, but they both
>> should work fine with UEFI and secure boot off.
>
> I could boot 4.9.39, it brings:
>  - Dell features like screen light control and wireless toggle key,
>  - dual screen support using the HDMI port,
> and maybe more that I couldn't see, wow!

I am using this experimental kernel on my workstation (lenovo w541). I
have been using it for quite a long time and have not had any major issues.

I also use it on my secondary workstation (lenovo h50-55).