[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

Sun Jul 30 19:07:05 UTC 2017
Walter H. <Walter.H at mathemainzel.info>

On 30.07.2017 20:22, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/30/2017 09:41 AM, Walter H. wrote:
>> On 30.07.2017 14:29, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> I personally have a Fedora machine that I keep updated and do some work
>>> on all the time learning/testing.  I just seamlessly upgraded it from
>>> Fedora 25 to Fedora 26 using a couple of dnf commands .. awesome
>>> experience actually.
>> because of this feature to upgrade from one release to the next, I
>> thought to test this on my old computer;
>> fedora itself works fine, but this upgrade from 25 to 26 broke the
>> vmware workstaion completely ...
>> it doesn't work any more, any hints in net which could be found don't
>> work ...
>> and this was the goal to have a linux running with vmware workstation
>> instead of my old windows ...
>>
>> but as it seems there is no way of achiving this ...
>>
> Looking at VMWare Workstation, it does not seem to run on Fedora at all.
> It seems to run on :
>
>      Ubuntu 16.04
>      Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1
>      CentOS 7.1
>      Oracle Linux 7
>      openSUSE 13.2
>      SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
>
> So, I'm not sure how it was running on Fedora 25 to get messed up by an
> upgrade to Fedora 26.

with Fedora 25 everything worked fine, even the upgrade from VMware Wkst
12.5.6 to 12.5.7 with automatic recompilation of neccessary kernel modules
without my intervention ...
and the same when a kernel upgrade among other updates occured on Fedora
25, everything worked fine ...

but the upgrade from F25 to F26 killed my VMware Workstation :-(
even the updates which occured after this upgrade didn't help ...