[CentOS] claiming unsused space back

Mon Jul 31 15:08:01 UTC 2017
Leroy Tennison <leroy at datavoiceint.com>

Interesting, thanks, my situation was (obviously) using NTFS.  I should add clarification that, although a qcow[2] to qcow[2] convert will reclaim the zeroed space, it does nothing to change the virtual size (qemu-img info ...) so the image can grow back to that size.  Currently (on long term support distributions) you need to convert to raw, use qemu-resize to reduce the physical file size then convert back to qcow2 to get an adjusted virtual size.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruttkay Vladimir" <vladimir.ruttkay at telekom.sk>
To: "centos" <centos at centos.org>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 9:54:27 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] claiming unsused space back

If you are using XFS - there is mount option "discard|nodiscard"

>From XFS man page:

discard|nodiscard
              Enable/disable the issuing of commands to let the block device reclaim space freed by the filesystem.  This is useful for SSD devices, thinly provisioned LUNs and virtual machine images, but may have a performance impact.

              Note:  It  is  currently  recommended that you use the fstrim application to discard unused blocks rather than the discard mount option because the performance impact of this option is quite severe.  For this reason, nodiscard is the default.

Vladimir