[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

Mon Jul 31 19:28:26 UTC 2017
Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net>

On 07/31/2017 11:59 AM, Walter H. wrote:
> On 31.07.2017 13:23, Mark Haney wrote:
>> Uh, I run VMWare workstation just fine on my F26 upgraded machine.
>> No, it didn't work when I upgraded, but it's trivial to fix.
>>
>> http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1939
>>
>> This link gets you a running workstation in about 5 minutes.
> not really, with this I only get the additional network interfaces
> listed with  'ifconfig', nothing more ..., I removed it, and wait for
> a VMware Wkst. Update ...
> (as this is just a test box, I can do this; if it were my essential box,
> I would have kicked Fedora from the harddisk and used Windows again,
> as I do on my essential box)
>
>>   No, this wasn't really a Fedora issue, it's a VMWare issue.
> doesn't really help me, the upgrade killed my VMware Workstation

Did you try restarting the vmware service?  systemctl restart vmware?  I
had to do that, or reboot, in order to get the loaded modules actually
seen by Workstation.

I have to be completely honest here.  It sounds a lot like you're not
the kind of person who wants to dig into the guts of things when they
break.  At least with computing/operating systems.  If that's the case,
then Fedora probably isn't for you, and I'm sure most on the list would
agree.  It's 'bleeding edge' packages that, even with a 'stable' release
will possibly have some issues than need working out.  That's been the
case since the Fedora Core days.

In that vein, I would recommend Ubuntu, but the Unity desktop implodes
spectacularly with VMWare workstation, or I should say it /did/ with
16.04.  That may have been fixed with later versions, but I changed jobs
from an all Ubuntu shop to an all RH/CentOS shop, so I'm not certain.
The thing is, this is NOT a Fedora issue.  It's a VMWare issue.  This is
true as evidenced by the fact that those modules /can/ be compiled by
GCC7, just not by vmware-modconfig script.  It happens, and with
Workstation, relatively often as of late.

Seriously, if you're not happy with the issues with VMWare Workstation
and Fedora, find another OS, like Ubuntu, that will provide you with
more stable packages.  It probably won't stop the Workstation
shenanigans, but they should be fewer and farther between.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova
mark.haney at neonova.net