[CentOS] more recent perl version?

Fri Jun 2 12:31:31 UTC 2017
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 2/6/2017 2:05 μμ, hw wrote:
>
>> That´s a good thing, though it can be difficult to run systems
>> using ancient software.
>
> You may want to check the following paradigm (from another open source perl-based application) to create a Perl environment within your system, avoiding to tamper with it:
>
>    https://metacpan.org/pod/App::Netdisco#Installation

That´s for network monitoring.

> We are running it in production for years and has been great in maintenance and operation (despite my initial fears).
>
> Alternatively, you can use a container. See for example:
>
>    https://linuxcontainers.org/
>    http://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/centos-how-tos/setup-linux-container-with-lxc-on-centos-7-rhel-7.html
>    http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=1034720

Containers are a bit quirky; I´m running two at home and one of
them every now and then gets its /dev/null deleted on reboots,
which causes trouble.  I wouldn´t want that to happen here.
Networking capabilities are also limited.

Other than that, I agree that it would probably be better to
use a container for the purpose rather than another VM.