[CentOS] C6 or C7 for an old netbook

Mon Jun 5 16:15:10 UTC 2017
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.STONEHAM.ma.us>

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 10:31:10AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I've got an old HP Netbook, which is just fine for taking with when I'm
> travelling, to check email and news. I have a very old Ubuntu
> netbook-remix on it, and it really, *really* needs to be updated to
> something current. I, of course, would prefer CentOS....
>
> The question is: I see that *if* the specs I just looked up (I'm at work,
> not home, where I could just turn it on, but they sound right) Atom N270
> CPU, 2G RAM, 160GB drive - what should I put on it, C6 or C7? Upgrading
> the memory's not going to happen, so it's got to live with that size.
>
> Opinions (please, no flame wars), just what will be most responsive on a
> machine this small?

I think the Atom N270 is a 32-bit processor, no?

that means either no C7, or you will have to use the unofficial 32-bit
build, and I don't know if it is being kept up to date.

also, 3rd-party repositories (epel, et al) aren't offering 32-bit
packages for C7, either, so if you depend on any of them for packages
you really care about (e.g., I can't use gnome-3.x, I use epel's
Mate Desktop packages) you'll be stuck.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.